Curriculum Vitae: Damir Cavar - March 2019
Since Fall 2016 I am Associate Professor at Indiana University.
Dr. phil. (magna cum laude), University of Potsdam, September 1999, Advisors: Prof.Dr. Peter Staudacher and Prof.Dr. Gisbert Fanselow
- since summer 2018 Fellow at the Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research (CACR) at Indiana University
- since summer 2017 Data Science Faculty in the School of Informatics, Computation, and Engineering (SICE), Indiana University
- since January 2018 Co-founder of Semiring Inc., an AI, NLP, ML company.
- since August 2016 Associate Professor of Computational Linguistics, Department of Linguistics, Indiana University.
- 2014-2018 Co-Director of The LINGUIST List at Indiana University.
- 2014-2016 Associate Research Scientist, Computational Linguistics, at Indiana University.
- 2013-2014 Director of the Institute for Language Information and Technology at Eastern Michigan University.
- 2011-2014 Assistant and Associate Professor (tenured and quit 2014), Computational Linguistics, at Eastern Michigan University.
- since 2006 Adjunct Assistant Professor of Computational Linguistics in the Department of Linguistics at Indiana University.
- 2011 Adjunct Affiliate Researcher at the Institute of Croatian Language and Linguistics (IHJJ).
- 2010-2011 Substituting Professor of Computational Linguistics in the Linguistics Department at the University of Konstanz (Germany), temporary one-year professorship.
- 2009-2011 Head of the branch office of the Institute of Croatian Language and Linguistics in Zadar (with its main institute in Zagreb)
- 2009-2010 Acting Chair of the Linguistics Department at the University in Zadar
- 2007-2008 Acting Chair of the English Department at the University in Zadar
- 2005-2011 Assistant Professor of Computational Linguistics at the University in Zadar, Linguistics Department (English Department till 2008)
- 2006-2009 Head of the department for theoretical and computational linguistics at the Institute of Croatian Language and Linguistics in Zagreb
- 2003-2006 Director of the Computational Linguistics Program in the Department of Linguistics at Indiana University
- 2003-2006 Assistant Professor of (Computational) Linguistics in the Department of Linguistics at Indiana University
- 2002-2003 Visiting Assistant Professor in the Department of Linguistics at Indiana University
- 2001-2002 IT Architect, Project Manager and Researcher in the Research & Innovations group of the IS-STA (Dresdner Bank AG and Allianz AG) in Frankfurt a.M. (Germany)
- 2000-2001 Researcher (PostDoc) at the Berlin-Brandenburgian Academy of Science, Project DWDS, PI: Prof.Dr. Manfred Bierwisch and Prof.Dr. Wolfgang Klein
- 2000 Researcher (PostDoc), Department of Computer Science at the Technical University in Berlin, KIT Group, Project Verbmobil
- 1999 Researcher at the University of Potsdam, Linguistics Department, in the interdisciplinary project “Formale Modelle Kognitiver Komplexität” (Formal Models of Cognitive Complexity), WP PI: Prof.Dr. Gisbert Fanselow
- 1998-1999 Researcher, Computer Science at the University in Hamburg, Natural Language Systems Group (NATS), PI: Prof.Dr. Walther von Hahn and Prof.Dr. Wolfgang Menzel, Project Verbmobil
- 1994-1998 Researcher, Berlin-Brandenburgian Academy of Science, Project RULE (Rule Learning and Rule Knowledge), PI: Prof.Dr. Jürgen Weissenborn and Prof.Dr. Angela Friederici
- 1994-1995 Researcher at the Innovationskolleg and Research Project “Formale Modelle Kognitiver Komplexität” (Formal Models of Cognitive Complexity), Linguistics Department, University of Potsdam, WP PI: Prof.Dr. Gisbert Fanselow
- Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main: Geophysics, Math and Physics (Undergraduate studies)
- Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main: German (General Linguistics with Prof. Dr. Helen Leuninger and
Prof. Dr. Günther
Grewendorf), Slavic languages and Japanese (Undergraduate and MA studies)
- University of Potsdam: General Linguistics (with
Prof. Dr. Gisbert Fanselow,
Prof. Dr. Peter Staudacher and Prof. Dr. Jürgen Weissenborn) and Slavic linguistics (Diploma and PhD
Primary and Secondary School